Social Welfare System Research Paper
History of the social problem How has this problem been identified and defined? To what causes was the problem attributed? What were the consequences of the problem? o Who benefited from the problem?
Each student will be required to write a research paper that identifies a social problem or issue of interest to the social welfare system. The topic must cover the discussion points below and be organized with a comprehensive introduction and conclusion. The introduction must “introduce” the problem and explain to the reader what the purpose of the paper serves. The conclusion should be an objective account of your findings. The paper should be organized using the APA 7th edition format; headings are required. A template for an APA 7th Edition paper can be found under the APA link in course materials.
- Discussion points:
- History of the social problem
o How has this problem been identified and defined?
o To what causes was the problem attributed?
o What were the consequences of the problem?
o Who benefited from the problem?
o Who suffered?
o Select an event (e.g., Seneca Falls conference, Stonewall) or a policy (e.g., No Child Left Behind, the Social Security Act) that was designed to have an impact on the problem.
▪ What was the intervention?
▪ What was it designed to do?
▪ Was it successful?
▪ Who did it help?
▪ Who did it fail to help?
• Current and future implications
o Identify the current state of affairs on this issue.
o What has been accomplished?
o What still needs to be done?
o Who will do it?
o What remains to be done?
• Social Work response
o Identify how the social work profession has responded to this issue.
o What kind of response was taken – advocacy, development of services, and legislation.
• Students are required to utilize and integrate readings from the course as well as new research (minimum of 5 scholarly sources) to complete the assignment.
• The paper should be 9-10 pages in length and must be formatted and written in APA style using the approved Human Services APA template.
• All information MUST be cited using APA 7th Edition in-text and reference citations.
• No direct quotes are permitted, only paraphrasing.
• This assignment is due Week 12.
• All papers must be uploaded to Blackboard; NO papers will be accepted in person or via email. NO late papers will be accepted.